MBBS Subjects : First Year
It starts with admission around July – August of give year. The first two semesters or term consist of first year. The first two semesters (approximately 240 teaching days) will be occupied in the phase I (pre-clinical) subjects and introduction to a broader understanding of the perspectives of medical education leading to delivery of health care.
Goal: The broad goal of the teaching of undergraduate students in Anatomy aims at providing comprehensive knowledge of the gross and microscopic structure and development of human body to provide a basis for understanding the clinical correlation of organs or structures involved and the anatomical basis for the disease presentations.
The subject deals with the structure of human body. The curriculum for subject is as follow:
- General Anatomy
- Regional Anatomy
- Upper limb
- Lower limb
- Head Face Neck
- Spinal Cord & Brain
I - General Histology
II - Systemic Histology
- Developmental Anatomy
I - General Embryology
II - Systemic Embryology
- Radiological Anatomy, USG, CT, MRI
- Surface Anatomy, Living & Marking
Anatomy books recommended
1) Gray's Anatomy
2) Sahana's Human Anatomy
3) Chouraia's Human Anatomy 3 volumes
4) Cunningham's manual of Practical Anatomy
5) Regional Anatomy by R. J. Last
6) Human Histology by Inderbir Singh
7) Atlas of Human Histology- DIFORE
8) Surgical Anatomy- McGregor
9) Histolgoy- by ham,
10) Human Embryology – Inderbir Singh,
11) Medical Embryology – Langman,
12) Surface Anatomy & Radiology – Halim Das,
13) General Anatomy by – Chowrisia
14) Text book of Neuroanatomy – Inderbir Singh
15) Central Nervous System – Podar Bhagat
16) Clinical anatomy for medical students – Richard Snell
17) Sociology and Health – Niraj Pandit, B. I Publication, NewDelhi
Goal: The broad goal of the teaching of undergraduate students in physiology aims at providing the student comprehensive knowledge of the normal functions of the organ systems of the body to facilitate an understanding of the physiological basis of health and diseases. The curriculum for subject is as follow:
- A) General Physiology
- B) Hematology
- C) Nerve
- D) Muscle
- E) Respiratory Physiology
- F) Cardiovascular Physiology
- G) Renal Physiology
- H) Body Temperature Regulation
- I) Alimentary System
- J) Nutrition
- K) Endocrine System
- L) Reproductive Physiology
- M) Special Senses : Eye, Ear, Taste, Smell,
- N) Central Nervous System
Physiology books recommended
1) Textbooks of Physiology :
Guyton - Textbook of Physiology
Ganong - Review of Medical Physiology
- Wright - Applied Physiology
2) Reference Books :
Best and Taylor - Physiological basis of medical practice
Berne & levy. - Principles of Physiology
Goal:The broad goal of the teaching of undergraduate students in biochemistry is to make them understand the scientific basis of the life processes at the molecular level and to orient them towards the application of the knowledge acquired in solving clinical problems. The curriculum for subject is as follow:
1 Molecular and functional organization of a cell and its sub-cellular components.
- Chemistry of enzymes and their clinical applications.
- Chemistry and metabolism of proteins and related disorders.
- Chemistry and metabolism of purines and pyrimidines and related disorders.
- Chemistry and functions of DNA and RNA , Genetic code ; Protein biosynthesis &.regulation ( Lac-operon )
- The principles of genetic engineering and their applications in medicine.
- Chemistry and Metabolism of haemoglobin.
- Biological oxidation.
- Molecular concept of body defence and their applications in medicine.
- Vitamins and Nutrition.
- Chemistry and metabolism of carbohydrates and related disorders.
- Chemistry and metabolism of lipids and related disorders.
- Mineral metabolism: Water and electrolyte balance & imbalance.
- Acid base balance and imbalance.
- Integration of various aspects of metabolism and their regulatory pathways. Starvation metabolism.
- Mechanism of hormone action.
- Environmental biochemistry.
- Liver function tests, Kidney function tests, Thyroid function tests
- Detoxification mechanisms.
- Biochemical basis of cancer and carcinogenesis.
- Investigation techniques : (LCD-Topics ) Colorimeter, Electrophoresis, Chromatography & Flame photometer.
Biochemistry books Recommended
- Medical Biochemistry - U.Satyanarayan.
- Biochemistry for Medical students by D.M.Vasudevan & Shree Kumari.
- Medical Biochemistry by M.N. Chatterjea and Rana Shinde.
- Text Book of Medical Biochemistry by Ramakrishnan, Prasannan & Rajan.
- Medical Biochemistry by Debajyoti Das.
- Biochemistry by A.C.Deb.
- Harper's Biochemistry.
- Medical Biochemistry by N.V.Bhagwan.
- Biochemistry by L.Stryer.
- Biochemistry by Orten & Neuhans.
In the first year, students learn small portion of subject community Medicine. The topics are covered like Concept of Health, Nutrition and Sociology and Health. These are the basic concept of community medicine.