MBBS Subjects : Third Year
Part –I is of one year and having exam of three subjects – community Medicine, Ophthalmology and ENT.
PSM (Community Medicine)
Goal: The broad goal of the teaching of undergraduate students in community medicine is to prepare them to function as community and first level physicians in accordance with the institutional goals.
- Basic concept of Health and disease
- Sociology and health
- Communicable disease epidemiology
- Non-communicable disease epidemiology
- National Health Programmes of India
- Environment and impact on health
- Occupational Medicine / occupational health
- Genetics and health
- Nutrition and health
- Health care management India and International
- Primary Health care
- International Health and travelers health
- Text book of Community Medicine, Kulkarni A.P. and Baride J.P.
- Park’s Textbook of Preventive and Social Medicine, Park
- Principles of Preventive and Social Medicine, K. Mahajan
- Textbook of Community Medicine, B. Shridhar Rao.
- Essentials of Community Medicine, Suresh Chandra.
- Textbook of Biostatistics, B. K. Mahajan
- Review in Community Medicine, V.R. Sheshu Babu.
- Sociology and Health Niraj Pandit
- National Health Programme, J Kishor
Epidemiology and Management for health care for all P.V. Sathe and A.P. Sathe.
Essentials of Preventive Medicine O.P. Ghai and Piyush Gupta.
Goal: The broad goal of the teaching of students in ophthalmology is to provide such knowledge and skills to the students that shall enable him to practice as a clinical and as a primary eye care physician and also to function effectively as a community health leader to assist in the implementation of National Programme for the prevention of blindness and rehabilitation of the visually
INTRODUCTION ANATOMY & PHYSIOLOGY OF THE EYE
COMMON DISEASE OF EYE.
- A) Conjunctiva.
Symptomatic conditions: - Hyperemia, Sub conjunctival Haemorrhage.
Diseases: - Classification of Conjunctivitis
:- Mucopurulant Conjunctivitis
:- Membranous Conjunctivitis Spring Catarrh.
:- Pinguecula and Pterigium
- B) Cornea: - Corneal Ulcers: Bacterial, Fungal, Viral, Hypopyon.
:- Interstitial Keratitis.
:- Corneal Opacities.
- C) Sclera :
- D) Uvea
:- Classification of Uveitis
:- Gen. Etiology, Investigation and Principles Management of Uveitis.
:- Acute & Chronic Iridocyclitis.
:- End Ophthalmitis.
- E) Lens :
- I) Cataract – Classification & surgical management of cataract.
:- Including Preoperative Investigation.
:- IOL Implant
- F) Glaucoma :
:- Aqueous Humor Dynamics.
:- Factors controlling Normal I.O.P.
:- Provocative Tests.
:- Classifications of Glaucoma.
:- Congenital Glaucoma.
:- Angle closure Glaucoma.
:- Open Angle Glaucoma.
:- Secondary Glaucoma
- G) Vitreous :
:- Vitreous. Opacities.
:- Vitreous. Haemorrhage.
- H) Intraocular Tumours :
:- Malignant Melanoma
- I) Retina :
:- Retinopathies : Diabetic, Hypertensive Toxaemia of Pregnancy.
:- Retinal Detachment.
:- Retinitis Pigmentosa, Retinoblastoma
- J) Optic nerve :
:- Optic Neuritis.
:- Optic Atrophy.
- K) Optics :
:- Principles : V.A. testing Retinoscopy, Ophthalmoscopy.
:- Ref. Errors.
:- Refractive Keratoplasty.
:- Contact lens, Spectacles
- L) Orbit :
:- Proptosis – Aetiology, Clinical Evaluation, Investigations &
Principles of Management
:- Endocrinal Exophthalmos.
:- Orbital Haemorrhage.
- M) Lids :
:- Inflammations of Glands.
:- Trichiasis, Entropion.
- N) Lacrimal System :
:- Wet Eye.
:- Dry Eye
:- Naso Lacrimal Duct Obstruction
- O) Ocular Mobility :
:- Extrinsic Muscles.
:- Movements of Eye Ball.
:- Squint : Gen. Aetiology, Diagnosis and principles of Management.
:- Paralytic and Non Paralytic Squint.
- P) Miscellaneous :
:- Colour Blindness.
:- Lasers in Ophthalmology – Principles.
- Q) Ocular Trauma
: - Blunt Trauma.
:- Perforating Trauma
:- Chemical Burns
:- Sympathetic Ophthalmitis
2) Principles of Management of Major Opthalmic Emergencies :
:- Acute Congestive Glaucoma.
:- C. Ulcer.
:- Intraocular Trauma.
:- Chemical Burns.
:- Sudden Loss of vision
:- Acute Iridocyclitis.
:- Secondary Glaucomas
3) Main Systemic Diseases Affecting the Eye :
4) Drugs :
:- Glaucoma Drugs.
:- Visco elastics.
5) Community Ophthalmology :
:- Blindness : Definition Causes & Magnitude
N.P.C.B. – Integration of N.P.C.B. with other health
:- Preventable Blindness.
:- Eye care.
:- Role of PHC’s in Eye Camps.
:- Eye Banking.
6) Nutritional :- Vit. A. Deficiency.
Books for Ophthalmology
BASAK - OPHTHALMOLOGY ORAL & PRACTICAL
BASAK - ESSENTIALS OF OPHTHALMOLOGY
CHATTERJEE -HANDBOOK OF OPHTHALMOLOGY
D.K. (SAMANT) - OPHTHALMOLOGY: THEORY PRECTICAL WITH MCQ'S
KHURANA - OPHTHALMOLOGY
NEMA - TEXTBOOK OF OPHTHALMOLOGY
PARSON'S - DISEASES OF THE EYE
SEETHARAMAN - PRACTICAL OPHTHALMOLOGY
SHEKHAR - MCQ'S IN OPHTHALMOLOGY
Goal: The basic idea of undergraduate students teaching and training in otolaryngology is that he /she should have acquired adequate knowledge and skills for optimally Dealing with common disorders, emergencies in E.N.T .and basic principles of impaired hearing rehabilitation.
- Diseases of buccal cavity
- Diseases of pharynx
- Tonsils and adenoids
- Pharyngeal tumours and related
Topics (trismus, Plummer .Vinson Syndrome etc.)
- Anatomy /physiology/examination
Methods/symptomatology of larynx
- Stridor /tracheostomy
- Laryngitis /laryngeal trauma/ Laryngeal paralysis/ foreign body larynx/Bronchus, etc.
- Laryngeal tumours
Nose and paranasal sinuses
- Anatomy /physiology/ exam.
- Methods /symptomatology
- Diseases of ext. nose/cong.
- Trauma to nose/p.n.s/Foreign Body. / Rhinolith
- Diseases of nasal septum
- Nasal polyps/nasal allergy
- Sinusitis and its complications
- Tumours of nose and Para nasal sinuses
- Anatomy /physiology
- Methods/methods of examination
- Cong.diseases/ ext.ear /middle ear
- Acute/chronic supp. otitis media
Aetiology, clinical features and its Management/complications
- Serous/adhesive otitis media
- Mastoid/middle ear surgery
- Otosclerosis/tumours of ear
- Facial paralysis/Meniere’s disease
- Tinnitus /ototoxicity
- Deafness/hearing aids/rehabilitation
Books for ENT
BHARGAVA - A SHORT TEXTBOOK OF E.N.T. DISEASE
DHINGRA- DISEASE OF EAR, NOSE AND THROAT
HATHIRAM- E.N.T. SIMPLIFIED
LOGAN TURNER'S - DISEASE OF THROAT, NOSE AND EAR
PRABHAT- PRACTICAL ENT