MBBS from a University
Must have passed MBBS from a University/ Institute recognized by the Medical Council of India (MCI)
Must have either completed, or due to complete, one year rotatory internship training on or before 31st December/30th June for January and July session respectively
Registration with Medical council
Must be registered with Central /State Medical Registration Council.
- Application Form
- The candidate should fill his/her online application form available on the PGI website i.e. http://www.pgimer.edu.in.
- He/She should fill all the fields/columns of the form.
- No fields/columns should be left blank.
- Important Dates
DATE OF OPENING OF RGISTRATION
LAST DATE OF REGISTRATION
LAST DATE OF FEE DEPOSIT
- SC/ST candidates : Rs. 800/-
- For all other categories : 1000/-
- Mode Of Payment
- Application fee through challan in SBI
- After filling application form the candidate should deposit the application fee through challan form (Triplicate) in any branch of SBI.
B.Fee to be deposited in “Power Jyoti” PUL current account of PGIMER
- Candidates can go to any Branch of State Bank of India with the fee Payment Challan duly filled in and pay the prescribed Application Fee in the “Power Jyoti” PUL current account of PGIMER.
C.Account numbers in which fee is to be deposited
- The Challan form is required to be filled up in the name of Director, PGIMER, Chandigarh (Examination) in the Power Jyoti Account No. 32211613319 and those candidates who have SBI account can also pay their fee through i-collect service of SBI and I-collect Account No. is 32222954695. In that case the INB reference No. will have to be mentioned instead of Challan No. in the application form.
- Important Instructions for payment
- The candidates should write his/her Name, Address, contact number and course name in which he/she is applying, on the back of Challan form.
- Fee once deposited is nonrefundable.
- No representation/ request/ demand for refund of application fees will be entertained if the candidate fails to apply within the stipulated time after payment of application fee. .
- Candidates must note that NO other form of payment of application fees like Demand Draft, Banker Cheque, Money Order, Postal order, etc. will be accepted under any circumstances, and any application form without a copy of the Challan will be rejected without any further correspondence with the candidates.
- Important Instructions For Foreign National Category, Sponsored Category and Presently Employed candidates
(i) Three choices of Subjects
MD/MS Candidates belonging to Foreign National Category MUST write Three choices of Subjects on the printed Application form.
(ii) Printout Of Application Form
The candidate should ensure to take printout of application form after completing all details.
(iii) NOC and Sponsorship Certificate
Candidates belonging to Foreign National Category, Sponsored Category and Presently Employed candidates are required to submit their NOC from Ministry of Health & Family Welfare, New Delhi, Sponsorship Certificate from Competent Authority and NOC from Employer respectively.
(iv) Address at which application has to be sent
The Applications of above mentioned categories i.e. Foreign national and Sponsored category alongwith requisite certificates must reach the office of Registrar, PGIMER, Sector-12, Chandigarh-160012.
(v) Time before which application has to reach
Application has to reach at the above address atleast 15 days before the commencement of the Entrance Examination.
A.The candidates who qualify the written test are required to submit;
- the print out of online application form,
- a photograph
- copies of certificates duly attested in support of educational qualification(s),
- age/date of birth certificate,
- caste certificate,
- Fresh OBC certificate,
- challan form
- NOC from the present employer, if employed at the time of counseling.
- Signing documents and with date
Candidates should sign all the documents forming enclosure to the application, and also put the date.
- Incomplete application to be rejected
Incomplete applications will not be considered, and no correspondence will be entertained in this matter.
- Write carefully and legibly
All particulars in the application form must be written carefully and legibly.
- Documentary proof
All claims made in the application must be supported with documentary proof.
- Candidates who have already done, or are doing, MD/MS will not be considered
Candidates who have already done, or are doing, MD/MS in any subject at the time of applying, shall not be considered for admission to MD/MS courses.
- Registration will be cancelled if wrong information is provided
If it is found, during active verification at a later stage, that the candidate has given wrong information, his/her registration will be cancelled without any notice.
- Candidates from unrecognized colleges are not eligible
Candidates who have obtained MBBS degree from a Medical College not recognized by the Medical Council of India are not eligible to apply.
- Candidates in employment must forward their application through proper channel.
Online Application will be treated as advance copy of the application. Application through proper channel should be sent to the Registrar of the Institute within 10 days after the last date fixed for the receipt of applications.
- No change in category allowed after submission of application
No request for a change of category applied for shall be entertained after the submission of the application to the Institute.
- The number of the vacancies may reduced/ increased
The number of the vacancies where indicated are provisional and may be reduced/ increased without prior notice.
- Frisking at the entry of the examination hall/ premises
Candidates are requested to cooperate with the security personnel and other staff who have been instructed to carry out frisking at the entry of the examination hall/ premises.
- The candidates with thefollowing articles will not be permitted to enter in the examination hall.
All the candidates appearing for the entrance test are instructed ‘NOT TO BRING’ water bottle, car key (Remote), chain, any mobile phones/pager/pen/wrist watch/ring/wallets/ladies purse/ornaments (Earrings, rings etc) or any other electronic device, even envelope of admit card to the examination hall.
- No responsibility of examination centres for safe custody of articles
The examination centres are not responsible for the safe custody of the belongings of the candidates and they have to make their own arrangement for their safe custody.
- Schedule of exam will not to be changed in any circumstances
Entrance examination/counseling will be held as per schedule. These dates will not be changed, even if the day is declared as a holiday or half-holiday by the Chandigarh Administration.
Attending the counseling is mandatory.
Other Important Instructions
- The candidates invited for the selection may have to stay at Chandigarh for 2-3 days. No TA/DA is admissible to them for the purpose.
- The decision of the Director of the Institute in the matter of selection of candidates for the various courses shall be final.
- Any attempt on the part of a candidate to influence the selection, directly or indirectly, will be treated as disqualification.
- Selected candidates shall have to pay the fee etc. on the same day, failing which his/her selection will be treated as cancelled and the seat will be offered to the candidates on the waiting list in order of merit.
- The candidates selected for the course shall have to furnish the migration certificate from the University/Institute from which they passed their last examination at the time of their joining, along with all other certificates in original in support of their qualification, experience, etc.
- No individual intimation is sent to unselected candidates, and no correspondence on the subject is entertained.
- The period of training is strictly full time and ordinarily continuous at the Institute.
- Private practice in any form during the course is prohibited.
- Every Junior Resident, except deputed candidates, will be provided partially furnished rent free, accommodation (single room in the hostel) subject to availability.
- Ragging is a cognizable offence, and is banned in the Institute. Stern action shall be taken against any offenders. Any one indulging in ragging shall be punished appropriately. Punishment may include expulsion from the Institute, imprisonment upto three years and /or a fine upto Rs.25000/-.
- These rules are subject to change in accordance with the decision of the Institute taken from time to time.
- In case of any dispute, the same shall be settled within the jurisdiction of Chandigarh.
- In case any candidate is found to have supplied false information or certificate etc., or is found to have concealed or withheld some information in the application form, he/she shall be debarred from admission.
- Any other action, that may be considered appropriate by the Director of the Institute, may also be taken against him/her, which may include criminal prosecution.
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR PHOTOGRAPHS
- Please scan your Photograph (clear passport size coloured with light background) and
- save it in the JPEG format.
- The size of image should not exceed 50 kb.
- Photograph MUST be snapped on or after March 1, 2016.
- Photograph must be taken with name of candidate (as in application), and date of taking photograph
- The photograph must be snapped with a placard indicating name of candidate and date of taking photograph, In case name and date are written on the photograph afterwards, the application will be rejected.
- The name and date on the photograph must be clear and legible.
- Candidate should not wear cap, goggles etc. Spectacles are allowed.
- The photograph on the Application form should be unattested.
- Application not complying with these instructions, or with unclear photograph, will be rejected.
- Keep a few identical photographs in reserve for use at the time of Entrance Examination/Admission.
- Any deviation or discrepancy between actual appearance at the time of examination and facial appearance in the photograph pasted on the application will make the candidate liable for rejection.
- Roll Numbers/Admit Cards for appearing in the entrance examination will available for download to eligible candidates approximately 15 days in advance and can be downloaded from the website by logging into their accounts on the website with their respective login id and password.
- Roll Numbers / Admit Cards will NOT be sent by post.
- Number Of Questions
Candidates will be considered for selection to MD/MS courses based on a theory paper consisting of 250 multiple choice question (MCQs) with five alternatives each and single/multiple correct responses.
- Negative Marking
Negative marks will be given for incorrect responses marked. The duration of this competitive entrance examination is three hours.
- Subject- Wise Weightage
The approximate number of questions for each subject is as follows ;
- Applied Anatomy - 6,
- Applied Biochemistry-12,
- Immunogenetics and Molecular Biology-10,
- Applied Physiology-6,
- Pathology - 15,
- Pharmacology - 12,
- Microbiology - 12,
- Forensic Medicine - 6,
- Social and Preventive Medicine-7,
- Internal Medicine-36,
- Obstetrics and Gynaecology-20,
- Radiotherapy - 6,
- General Surgery-36,
- Otorhinolaryngology -10,
- Ophthalmology - 10,
- Orthopaedics - 10.
- The question paper has 250 questions, each with five response options. Hence there are a total of 1250 response options.
- One or more of these five options can be correct for each question.
- The question paper therefore has some number of correct responses (say a) and incorrect responses (say b, such that a+b=1250).
- A candidate would mark a proportion of these responses as being correct. Some of these are truly correct (say x) while the remaining are wrongly marked as being correct (say y).
- The scoring is done through a customized software that matches the candidates’ responses to each of the 1250 possible responses (marked as correct, or left blank) with the true answer (correct or incorrect).
- True correct responses (i.e. candidate correctly marks a response as true) are scored positively, and incorrect responses (i.e. candidate marks an incorrect response as correct) are scored negatively.
- Any responses not marked by the candidate are not scored. A candidate’s percentage score will be computed using the formula: Percentage score= [x/a–y/b]×100.
- As an example, assume that the question paper has 600 correct responses. If a candidate marks 580 responses as correct, out of which 450 are truly correct and the remaining 130 are incorrect, then a = 600, b = 650, x = 450 and y = 130. Accordingly, for this candidate, percentage score is: [(450/600) – (130/650)] × 100 = 55.0.
- Please note that these figures are only illustrative, and do not imply the actual number of correct responses in the question paper, or actual performance of any candidate.
- Actual scores will not be considered further since these percentage scores will depend on relative difficulty of the question paper, and the relative ability of candidates, and it is not advisable to use these in generating cut-offs for selection.
- These will be converted into percentile score using the formula: Percentile= [(B+(0.5×E))/N]×100
B = number of scores below the candidate’s score,
E = number of scores equal to the candidate’s score (1 if there is no tie, and >1 if there is a tie),
N = number of candidates appearing for exam.
Overall rank of all the candidates shall be decided based on these percentile scores, with a higher percentile score translating into a better rank.
Students Obtaining Equal Marks
If two or more candidates obtain equal percentile scores, then inter-se merit for selection shall be determined on the following basis:
- A candidate who has obtained higher aggregate marks in MBBS examination shall rank higher to a candidate who has obtained lower marks.
- If the aggregate marks obtained in MBBS examination are the same, then a candidate senior in age shall rank higher to a candidate who is junior in age.
An overall merit list based on the percentile obtained by all the candidates appearing in the examination in the theory examination (irrespective of their category) will be prepared.
Percentile Qualification for Different Categories
Candidates of various categories who secure percentile in the theory examination, as mentioned against each category, will qualify for admission:
- Open (General) and Sponsored/Deputed : 55th percentile
- OBC, OPH, SC/ST, Rural Area, Foreign Nationals : 50th percentile
- Bhutanese Nationals : 45th percentile
Candidates from reserved categories are also eligible to compete for general category seats (open category).
Thus, in addition to category wise list, a combined General Category merit list of all the candidates will also be prepared.
- There will not be any clinical or practical examination. Allocation of various disciplines of MD/MS courses will be done on the basis of a personal counseling, strictly in order of merit in the respective merits lists of the theory examination.
- Number Of Candidates For 1st Counseling
The number of candidates to be called for 1st counseling will be three times the total number of seats to be filled for each category of candidates, provided the candidates fulfill the cut-off points mentioned above.
The selection will be finalized only after the counseling of the candidates.
- Absence in Counseling
Any candidate who is absent at the time of counseling will not be considered for admission.
However he/she will still be eligible to appear in the second/third/fourth counselling.
Under exceptional circumstances, if any candidate reports for counseling after his/her turn, he/she will be considered for admission only in the disciplines available at that time.
- Unfilled seats
Unfilled seats of MD/MS courses will be offered to all the candidates category wise as per their merit obtained in the entrance examination.
- Obtaining The Subject Of Choice
Any candidate who does not get the subject of his/her choice in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd counseling can also attend the 2nd, 3rd & 4th counseling to get the subject of his/her choice.
- Penalty on Surrendering
No penalty will be charged from the candidate who gets selected in another subject after surrendering from the subject in which he/she joined in the 1st, 2nd or 3rd counseling.
If any candidate surrenders the seat obtained in first/second counseling, he/she will not be entitled to any claim regarding salary or leave for that period of training
- No TA/DA shall be paid to candidates for attending any Counseling.
- No separate communication will issued for second and third Counseling sessions.
Admission to all courses will close on 31th July, 2016
- ADMISSION TO THE POSTGRADUATE COURSES
- Admission to various postgraduate courses conducted at the Institute is made twice a year.
- The sessions commence from first January and first July each year.
- c) The Institute follows a residency service-cum-training scheme. Candidates admitted to MD/MS courses are called Junior Residents.
- d) The admission to the above courses of the Institute is made on merit on all India basis, by holding an entrance examination by the Institute, after issuing a countrywide admission notice. The admission notice is published in leading English newspapers of India March for the July session.
- Scheduled castes and tribes (SC/ST)
- Some seats for various MD/MS courses are reserved for candidates belonging to scheduled castes (SC), scheduled tribes (ST) and other categories, as per instructions from Government of India, provided these candidates fulfill the minimum admission requirements prescribed by the Institute for the purpose.
- Candidates belonging to scheduled castes and tribes are required to furnish a certificate from;
- the District Magistrate / Additional District Magistrate / Collector / First Class Stipendiary Magistrate, Sub-divisional Magistrate, Taluka Magistrate / Executive Magistrate / Extra Assistant Chief Presidency Magistrate / Presidency Magistrate,
- Revenue Officer not below the rank of Tehsildar,
- Sub Divisional Officer of the area where the candidate and or his family normally resides / Administrator / Secretary to Administrator / Development Officer (Lakshdweep Islands) in support of their claims.
- The candidates must supply a Hindi / English Translation of their caste certificate along with the application.
- Other backward classes (OBC)
- Reservation for MD/MS/ MDS/ House Job/MHA/MPH/M.Sc, candidate from other backward classes (OBC) is granted .
- The OBC certificate submitted by the candidates should have been issued by the competent authority within one year of the last date of submission of application.
- OBC certificates issued by the District Magistrate / Deputy Commissioner etc. only will be recognized for this purpose.
- Rural area (RA)
- 5% seats in MD/MS course are reserved for those candidates who have actually worked, are working, or have carried practice in rural area for a minimum of two years on or before 30th June/31st Dec for July & Jan session respectively.
- Candidate applying under this category is required to furnish certificate from the District Magistrate concerned in support of the claim.
- According to the orders of the Government of India, the term ‘rural area’ includes “primary health center, a village, or a town with less than 5000 population and without a Municipal area”.
- The certificate to be furnished by the candidates should certify that he/she served or is actually serving or has carried on private practice in a village, primary health center, or town with less than 5000 population and without Municipal area.
- Person with Disability (PWD)
- 3% seats are reserved for Person with Disability.
- If the disability involves only one lower limb, it should be a minimum of 50%, and should not exceed 70%.
- If the disability involves both lower limbs, the total disability should not exceed 70%, with a minimum of 50%.
- Candidates with disability of lower limbs between 50% and 70% shall be considered.
- In case candidates are not available in this category, then candidates with disability of lower limbs between 40% and 50% may be considered for admission.
- The candidate must possess a valid document certifying his/her physical disability.
- The disability certificate should be produced by a duly constituted and authorized Medical Board of the state or Central Government Hospitals/ institutions.
- The constitution of the Medical Board will be one consultant each from disciplines of Orthopedics, Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, and Surgery.
- Sponsored / Deputed Candidates
A candidate applying for admission MD/MS as a sponsored / deputed candidate is required to take the print out of the online application form and furnish the following certificates with his/her application through his/her employer/Sponsoring Authority for admission to the course.
- That the candidate concerned is a permanent or regular employee of the deputing/ sponsoring authority, and should have been working for at least last three years (on or before 30th June/31st December for July & January session respectively).
- That after getting training at PGIMER, Chandigarh, the candidate will be suitably employed by the deputing/sponsoring authority to work for at least five years in the specialty in which training is received by the candidate at the PGIMER.
- That no financial implications, in the form of emoluments/ stipend etc. will devolve upon PGIMER, Chandigarh during the entire period of his/her course and such payment shall be the responsibility of the sponsoring authority.
- Deputation/ Sponsorship of candidates holding tenure appointments (like house job, Junior or Senior Residency, adhoc or contract or honorary appointment against a leave vacancy) shall not be accepted.
- Deputation / Sponsorship of any candidate by private hospitals, institutes or nursing homes are not accepted.
- The sponsoring Institute should not nominate more than one candidate for a specialty.
Sponsorship / deputation of candidates will be accepted only from the following:
- Central or State Government Departments/Institutions
- Autonomous Bodies of the Central or State Government
- Public sector colleges affiliated to universities and recognized by the MCI.
- In case of candidate deputed/ sponsored by the Medical College affiliated to Universities and recognized by Medical Council of India, deputation/sponsorship certificate signed by the Principal of Medical College concerned only shall be accepted.
- Deputed/Sponsored candidates are also required to appear in the selection test.
- If selected for admission to any course of the Institute, these candidates are required to make their own arrangement for stay during the period of their studies.
- Foreign nationals (FN)
- A candidate applying for admission as a Foreign National candidate is required to take the print out of the online application form and furnish the relevant certificates are required to route their application through the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Government of India, New Delhi.
- All foreign nationals will have to take prior permission from the Medical Council of India before applying for postgraduate Courses in the Institute.
- An advance copy must be submitted at PGIMER, Chandigarh before the last date of receipt of applications.
- However applications of such candidates will be processed after receipt of the same through diplomatic channels.
- These candidates are also required to appear in the entrance examination along with other candidates.
- A separate merit list of for these candidates will be prepared within their own group.
- There will be another separate merit list for Bhutanese nationals, apart from the list for foreign national seats.
- Selection of candidates will be made on merit based on their performance in the entrance examination.
- In the event of selection, the candidates have to apply for temporary registration with the Medical Council of India for the duration of postgraduate study.
- Joining Date
- Selected candidates must join course on the prescribed date as indicated in their admission letter.
- The selection of candidates who fail to join by the specified date shall automatically stand cancelled.
- Late Joining
- Under exceptional circumstances, a candidate may be allowed to join late, upto a maximum of one month, on the condition that he/she will make up the deficiency caused in his/her academic term due to late joining, by forfeiting his/her leave, during the first two years of his/her admission, to which he/she will be entitled on joining the Institute, by the same number of days.
- For this the candidates will be required to intimate the unavailed leave to Registrar Office at the end of the first year and get the same adjusted by forfeiting the same amount of leave, before the end of the second year.
- However, the candidates whose absence (apart from their absence on leave admissible to them during the period of their studies) does not exceed one month will be permitted to appear in the final MD/MS examination alongwith other eligible candidates joining the Institute during the same session.
- This concession will not, however, be admissible to candidates for their unauthorized absence, if any, during the period of their studies.
AGREEMENT BONDS / SURETIES / CONTRACT
- The Junior Residents (MD/MS) will be on contract service for a period of three years and will be required to execute an agreement and undertaking on non-judicial stamp paper of minimum Rs. 5 value.
- Any candidate who joins MD/MS course and leaves the course midway, will be penalized.
DURATION OF COURSE AND EMOLUMENTS
The MD/MS course has a duration of three academic years.
- During this period, the Junior Residents are entitled to emoluments as prescribed by the Government of India.
- At present, this translates to a pay scale of Rs. 15600 – 39100, and a grade pay of Rs. 5400. Non-practicing allowance is also paid as per rules.
The following dues are payable to the Institute, by the candidates admitted to the MD/MS courses:
- a) Registration Fee : 500/-
- b) Tuition Fee : Rs. 250/- per annum
- c) Laboratory Fee : Rs. 900/- per annum
- d) Amalgamated Fund : Rs. 720/- per annum
- e) Security : Rs. 1000/- (refundable only after completion of course)
- f) Hostel Security : Rs. 5000/- (refundable) to be deposited with the Administrative Officer (Hostel) if hostel accommodation is allotted .
- The first installment of fees for six months is required to be paid immediately after selection.
- The balance is recovered in monthly installments from those receiving emoluments from the Institute.
- Others are required to pay their dues half yearly in advance.
- Refund Of Fee
Fees and other charges once paid shall not be refunded in any case, including that of a candidate leaving the Institute before the completion of his/her term or not joining the institute for any reason.
- Payment Of Dues
The dues must be paid by the prescribed date. For late payment, a fine @ Rs.5/- per day will be charged, upto a maximum of 15 days. After 15 days the name of the non-paying candidate shall be removed from the rolls of the institute. For re-admission, if otherwise eligible, a sum of Rs.500/- will be charged as re-registration fee in addition to the fine. Such a candidate will have to repeat the period of his/her training for which he/she remains off the rolls.
- Release Of Security
- Security will be released only after the receipt of the “No Dues Certificate” on completion of the duration of course.
- No security will be released to those candidates who do not join or discontinue the course midway.